Thursday, November 3, 2011

Corlorful Visual Discovery Jars

After I'd abandoned my quest to get glitter to successfully remain suspended in water; I decided to try an idea I found on Pinterest.  It looked easy enough -- then again so did the glitter crap, and we can see where that went!  So I thought before I deemed the project easy, I better try it out myself.

Here are my discovery jars:




They actually turned out really well and they were super easy for me to make!


Here are some of the supplies I used:


  • Plastic Water Bottles (I got the Aqua Pods for Kids)
  • Various colors of curling ribbon
  • Glitter, sequins, and metallic confetti
  • Plastic beads and dice beads
  • Craft fluffs
  • Hot glue gun
You can probably use quite a few things laying around your house if you raid your crafting supplies: buttons, paper clips, small stones, beads, etc.  I went ahead and put a few drops of glycerin in my bottles but I have serious doubts as to whether it helped thicken the water and keep glitter and sequins floating longer.

All that you do is leave about half the water in the plastic bottles and then load them up with whatever visually stimulating objects you've gathered.  I found that less was not more -- the more the better, in fact.  Fill the bottle the rest of the way up with water and then use the hot glue gun to secure the lid to the bottle.  I used filtered water in mine.  My 7 month old daughter approves of her new discovery jars!

1 comment:

  1. If you use glitter glue, it thickens the water a little bit :-)

    ReplyDelete